Being the Son the Father of the Prodigal Deserved
Luke 15: 11-32
Pew Bible Pg. 850
I. In what ways did the younger son (and we too) fail.
Luke 15: 11-24
None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands, no one seeks for God. All have turned aside, together they have gone wrong; no one does good, not even one.
All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
But, God, shows His love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.
If we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. But, if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
I John 1: 8-9
A. In what ways did the Prodigal Son sin? _______________________________________
B. In what ways have we too sinned? ___________________________________________
C. Did our Father in Heaven deserve this? _______________________________________
Why not? ______________________________________________________________
D. How did He react? _______________________________________________________
II. In what ways did the older son (and we too) fail.
Luke 15: 25-32
Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.
Prov. 16: 18
When pride comes, then comes disgrace (shame); but with the humble is wisdom.
If any man would come after Me let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow Me.
Again Jesus said,
For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for My sake, he will find it.
A. Describe the sin of the older son! ____________________________________________
2. In what ways have you fallen into the same type of sin? _________________________
3. What do you need to do?________________________________________________
B. Why are we left without the older son repenting, confessing, and being totally restored?
1. What needs to happen? _________________________________________________
2. How often?__________________________________________________________
3. Why? _______________________________________________________________
III. Finally, who is the Son that the Father of the Prodigal deserved?
John 6: 38-40
I seek not My own will, but the will of Him who sent me.
John 5: 30
My food is to do the will of Him who sent me and accomplish His work.
Whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother.
Therefore, if any one is in Christ, he is a new Creation; the old has passed away, behold the new has come.
II Cor. 5:17
A. In what way was Jesus the Son the Father deserved? ____________________________
B. How can we too be the sons and daughters God deserves? _________________________
1. What happens when we look back? ________________________________________
2. In what ways have you tempted the Lord by looking back? ______________________
3. What do you need to do? _______________________________________________